A paleo version of traditional apple crisp is the fall dessert you crave on cozy nights! It’s also gluten free, grain free, with a dairy free vegan option.
1 hour 10 mins
The Apple Part:
• 5-6 med pink lady or granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced to about ¼ inch thickness
• 1-2 tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
• ¼ tsp ginger
The “Crisp” Part (Topping)
• ⅓ cup coconut oil or pastured butter, softened
• 1 cup raw pecans
• ¾ cup almond meal or flour
• 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
• ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ground nutmeg
• ¼ tsp ground ginger
• ¼ tsp ground allspice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with the spices, then put the apples in a 9 or 10 inch pie dish or baking dish and set aside.
3. For the crisp topping, put all the ingredients in a food processor and process or pulse until the pecans are finely ground and a paste is created.
4. Spread the topping all over the apples to fully cover (or as fully as possible) and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes – 1 hour or until the apples are bubbly and the topping is brown and crisp.
5. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to cool down before serving warm.
6. There will be no leftovers, I can assure you of that! If you’re lucky enough to have some left you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat before serving.
This recipe was written by Michele at http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-maple-pecan-apple-crisp/.