You may have heard me tell you that good posture is essential for good health. I tend to talk about posture a lot because it is often one of the biggest stressors to our bodies and most of us don’t have good posture. What are the benefits of good posture? Having good posture distributes the weight of our bodies evenly, leading to less wear and tear on our bones, muscles and joints. This in turn leads to less pain, soreness and tension. It also helps us breathe better, look and feel more confident and give us more energy!
How to sit properly:
- Keep you feet on the floor, or a foot rest if they don’t reach the floor.
- Do not cross your legs! If you must, cross at your ankles with your ankles in front of your knees.
- Keep a small gap between the back of your knees and your seat.
- Your knees should be at your at or below the level of your hips.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your forearms parallel to the ground.
- Avoid sitting in the same position for more than 15-20 minutes.
- Sit on your sit bones, not your tailbone! Sit forward on your seat with a slight lean forward or keep a small arc in your low back while leaning against your back rest.
- If you are looking for a new desk, a sit/stand desk or treadmill desk are the best options.